Monday, January 14, 2008

Using an American connection to purchase car

Here is a quote from the red flag deals site about buying a car with American connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole11 View Post
Just looking for a little help here. I have a relative that is living in New York state right now, but is a resident of California (with California drivers license). I have a dealer in New York state, that will sell her the vehicle and also charge no tax (because of her California address). What is the process to import the car? Does the bill of sale get faxed to U.S. customs in her name? How about the recall letter? I would think that the recall letter is pertinent to the vehicle not owner. Do we do up a bill of sale with each other and then I present that to Cdn. customs when I pay the gst? I'm ready to pull the trigger, I just want to clear up this remaining issue. Thanks, any info will be useful. You can pm if you wish. Thanks
Best not to let the dealer know car is being exported. Send the money to your relative and have her send it to the dealer. Dealers invoice will be in her name and the Certificate of Origin will be in her name. Send a copy of Certificate to US Customs 72 hours before you will cross with the vehicle.
Have a bill of sale from your relative to you with you and dated for that day. Your relative is the exporter of record and you are the importer of record. US Customs will stamp your original COO and off to the Canadian Border Tax Collectors. I did exactly that with my new Honda.

No comments: